Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Cream Separator & Milking Supplies

Well, we got a Cream Separator. We bought it online from Allivet, and I think it was the cheapest place we could find, and it was free shipping. . . and all the companies carry pretty much the same kind of separator.
It came by FedEx Monday and of course, we had to try it out. We did a gallon of goat milk and got some *really* thick cream! Since we still have a few cow milk gallons in the freezer, I pulled 2 of those out yesterday and am going to run them through the separator today to try it out.

the first batch of milk separating,

Also, I figured I'd take pictures of our milking supplies for others to see what we use (thanks for the idea, Jennifer!). So I did that last night right before milking.

first, the cleaning supplies - Hand Sanitizer that I use in between milking does, and Nolvasan Disinfectant for cleaning their udders, the milk stand, counter, etc.


the Stainless Steel pail - I have a few of these. These are only 2 quart ones, so often times they get full with one doe and I switch out with another pail. I have a 6 quart pail, but that can be a bit big at times. I would like to find a 4 quart one as that would be perfect size, but have not been able to find one.


Rubbermaid gallon milk jug and a gold, reusable coffee filter for filtering the milk.


All the supplies.

Have a good day!

Suriyah

12 comments:

Brenda said...

I love the cream separator! I'd love to make butter and low fat yogurt from my goat's milk! It takes so long to wait for the cream to separate naturally.

How does the goat's milk taste after taking the cream out of it?

Linda Foley said...

I love the separator too! I sooo want one! In time I will have one!

Good Goats said...

The milk tasted just fine! I am actually pretty picky with my milk, but after separating we put the low fat milk back in the freezer to cool it down, and tasted it a bit later, and it was good. Just thinner/not as creamy, of course.

Unknown said...

I sell nice quality, affordable cream separators at:
http://slavicbeauty.ecrater.com/
They work great with goat's milk. I'll be happy to answer any questions!

Good Goats said...

Thank you! We actually look at these kind but since they need a converter, we decided to just spend the money and get one that didn't need a converter.

Linda Foley said...

uabookinist your profile is not available so I will just post it in here and hope you will see it.

Thank you for the link! All the ones you had available were manual one! I love it!

Ann Katherine said...

Hi. I am looking to buy a cream separator. I saw your post and I went to the website where you bought yours but it looks different. The one at Hoegger looks like yours but it's 100.00 more. What do you think?

http://hoeggergoatsupply.com/xcart/product.php?productid=3530&cat=0&page=1

https://www.allivet.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=50014

I bought a manual one from ebay and it does not work for me. Thanks so much. :)

Good Goats said...

Hi Ann,

The Hoegger one looks just fine. We went with the one from Allivet because of the price difference. It took a few weeks to get here, from what I remember, but it works great! Hope this helps!

Linda Foley said...

I got a 4 quart pail a couple of weeks ago from Pet Center Direct It looks about like the one you have...

Ann Katherine said...

I went ahead and ordered the one from Allivet but the picture looks different from yours. Hope it works. Thanks for your reply. :)

Milk Cream said...

Nothing beats turning whole milk into milk plus butter! It's actually pretty fun and can save quite a bit of money depending on how much you do it.

Jeni Harvey said...

I am in research mode! I am currently milking a Nubian and rescue I got that looks like a Boer/Nubian cross that easily gives me a gallon a day and I only do OAD milking. Anyway, my friend and I REALLY want butter and were thinking about getting a cow but thought maybe a cream separator for the goat's milk was the way to go instead. Could you possibly tell me how much cream you get for a quart of milk, or two quarts, or whatever quantity you normally separate? Also, do you separate it right after milking? Any advice/info you have would be much appreciated! You can email me at prettytutus@gmail.com if that would be easier. I really appreciate your time! Thanks! Jeni