Sunday, October 4, 2009

Batches of Butter (pictures!)

I was asked to take pictures of the steps of butter making, and I thought it would be nice to have a "how to make butter" with pictures. So I finally got around to it this afternoon. The only thing that I did not take pictures of was skimming the cream off of the milk - that will have to wait till next time.

#1 - Pour cream in the food-processor,

only fill it about 1/3 full as it fluffs-up and will overflow otherwise,

blend on high,

This is what it looks like after about 2 minutes - it is whipped cream at this point. Keep blending.

Here I have a colander over a bowl with Plyban cheesecloth on top (regular cheesecloth or butter muslin will work also, just not as easy),

It's "almost butter"!

Butter! From the time it started blending, it took about 8 minutes to get to this.

The liquid is buttermilk,

And the butter, draining,


I had a gallon of cream, so it took several food-processor batches to make it all into butter. Once that was all done, it's time to rinse the butter. Use *cold* faucet water, and rinse till the water is pretty clear.

Salt, butter and plate for working the butter on.
Mixing the salt in and working the butter to get as much liquid out of it as possible,

From a gallon of cream, this is how much buttermilk I got,

And the finished product!
1 3/4 lbs of butter!

I hope you liked that! Next time I make cheese, I hope to take pictures also!
_____

Well there are many other updates that have been happenning the past few days around the farm. . . but I am very tired and need to go to bed, so that'll have to wait ;).

Goodnight,
Suriyah

0 comments: